Life is calling where are you???!!!

Those were the days when I was fresh out of college, those were the days when the recession was nearing to an end, those were the days when people desperately wanted to get into ANY job available, I was one among them....

Having seen my seniors struggling to get into a job, my confidence level had hit the bottom. Besides there was a realization that the knowledge which we have got (???) during the graduation is not going to help much in the world of reality. So I accepted the very first offer came my way, that of a startup, for a very low salary.

Company is real good, started by 3 good people. The problem was with the one or two people who were not very comfortable working with women. Terrible was the feeling when people don't look at you when you are discussing something technically, pathetic it was when they start in their native language in the middle of a meeting and I sit there blinking. No complaints. Sometimes the brought-up decides a lot about a person's behaviour. But must say that company gave me very good projects to work on, to make me an experienced, mature professional from a fresher. All that happened was for good.
That was a low time... The salary was too small to sustain oneself in a city like Bangalore, there was kind of loneliness at work place which was reminding me of the discrimination, there were people who were so happy to prick intensionally to the "topper" who was earning lesser to them. No wonder, I was feeling so down and sad....

On one such day, when I was sitting in the bus, lost in my own thoughts, looking out of the window, in a semi-sad, semi-irritated mood, I hear the creeeech of brakes. I give a damn to it and continue to be in my own world. When the bus didn't start for a long time, I turn to see whats taking the driver so long... Two young pretty ladies, who are getting into the bus. All the irritation and the sadness in me immediately take a backseat when I realize both were BLIND.

They were trying to touch everything in their reach to get into the bus, rather trying to get into the bus. But, there was not even a tinge of irritation, not even a bit of helplessness. They were taking their own time to get into the bus, to see if the front seats were empty, to see whether the other one is also seated. Then they both start talking something very interesting and get lost in their own world of laughter, teasings and momentary silence when the bus stops, to listen to the conductor.

Here I am sitting,cribbing, ignoring all the beatiful and useful things God has bestowed upon me and there they are, ignoring all the inabilities and enjoying life to the fullest. Suddenly the world started looking colourful, suddenly the world appeared to be full of hope, optimism and courage. I had tears in my eyes for them, but it was the self-worth which was prominent in their otherwise-lightless eyes. Their stop comes and they try to get out of the bus, helping each other, giggling all the way, but I couldn't take them out of my mind....

Even now when I feel disappointed about something which didn't turn up as expected, crib about something without which I could still do very well, these two blind people silently creep into my mind, try to touch each and every corner of it, giggle and laugh all the way to show, world is a much better place, if we choose to see it. All those moments I mutter inaudibly "Thank God, for everything..."

As a famous kannada poetry goes... ಇರುವುದೆಲ್ಲವ ಬಿಟ್ಟು ಇಲ್ಲದುದರೆಡೆಗೆ ತುಡಿವುದೀ ಮನ... which says ignoring everything we have, our mind craves for those which we don't. The day when we realise the worth of what we have, that day we are the happiest....

:o)

17 comments:

  1. Hey Akshatha

    Good to read your wiritings which makes everyone sit, think and realize !!

    Arun

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Arun,

    Thanks a lot for the encouragement for my writing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. well..nice story that..it made me for a while wonder if it was a figment of imagination...:)..such occurances give perspective to things..keep posting..

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Utkarsh

    Thanks for reading through my blog. It was my personal experience. :o)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello Akshatha,

    We are soo much involved with what we lack, we hardly give a thought to enjoy what great things we posses.

    Thats nice writing. Thanks for all efforts in putting that story online and reminding us the great truth.

    Kishore.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks Kishore. Rightly said, we are very much involved in what we lack than what we have. Even after having this realisation, this mind still wanders for what we lack, so humane :o(

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hmmm. Interesting article.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wowwwwwwwww.
    Atleast for me worth reading again and again...
    Something makes me to get depressed for a moment everyday, but suddenly this blog strikes into my mind and suddenly I get cherished....This blog - A booster for depressed mind.

    ReplyDelete
  9. @Kanti,
    Thanks man!!! If I can bring hope to the depressed mind, then purpose of my life is fulfilled :o)

    Keep smiling always :o)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks !!!!
    Yes we should try atleast to smile always :-)

    ReplyDelete

  11. Um um um a a a... um um um a a a...oho...
    kya aap close up karthen haiiinnn... ;o)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm not a nitpicker but the quote actually is "Iruvudellava biTTU iradudareDege tuDivude jeevana". The beautiful lines are written by great poet Gopalakrishna Adiga. :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. @Harsha,
    Thanks, in fact even I had a great confusion over it, but lazy me, didn't bother to check it. Thanks for correcting :o)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hello Akshatha,
    Dropped by from one of the other blogs. You write very well. Yes that is true, we always think about what we do not and try to make our otherwise beautiful life hell. It is wise to get out of such negative thoughts and face life boldly.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Another well written, thought provoking article. I returend to your blog, after a while, this time not accidentally, but with eagerness to read some quality stuff. I hope to read some new stuff from you, because I can't accept that a person of your caliber is running short of ideas or incidents to put it up here!

    - Vijay

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hey Vijay,

    Thanks for coming back :-) Yes I will write shortly. I am itching to write since long. This was an intended break which I took. Do come back in a few days, you will see new posts :)

    ReplyDelete